Tuesday 7 December 2010

Super Metroid



Back when I first started gaming i was in the era of the commodore 64 and SNES and thing that sets these games apart from there modern relatives as there difficulty and story. games used to be very difficult and still today give anyone of any age a challenge, the other thing that these games offered was a huge story and the game I'm reviewing now is no exception.


Super metroid is one of the greatest SNES games made the only problem is theres so many SNES games that I can say that for, every SNES game has its own feel and each game was different super metroid however was in its own class. The graphics in this game were amazing at the time and still to this day haven't dated to much I can still play this game today and still enjoy it as much as I did when I first played this back in the 90s, and I think that's the thing with this game its still playable to this day.


 The game play is the same as the previous metroid games in the series your typical side scroller with the added function of vertical scrolling nothing was changed in the way you play but the overall movement of samus was improved greatly and played like a dream very easy the control. As for the story behind this game a lot is down to your imagination because it doesn't tell you much, you start the game with a short story (Catch up) explaining what has happened in the 2 previous metroid games super metroid continues right after the events in metroid 2 the return of samus after destroying the mother brain and all the metroids a baby metroid hatches and is captured by samus who then takes the baby to scientists to use is helping mankind, we start the game with a distress signal from those very scientists and so your adventure begins.


I was probably about 7ish when I got this game and I kid you not this game took me years the finish must have been 9ish when me and my brother finally finished the story, you have to remember there was no Internet no walkthroughs it was me and my brother and that was it. This game gave you no help what so ever and this is what made the game, you felt completely alone just as samus must have felt on this mission everything about this game made you feel alone and never safe the music in this game was perfectly done and gave you that shiver down your spine feeling as you entered different parts of the planet zebes. most of the other games for the SNES had lots of bright colours and happy backgrounds but as soon as you entered this planet you knew this was a very different game. This was a game of exploration testing every part of every room for secrets, passages and items to help your journey and I loved this game for that.


This game is defiantly worth buying either the original cartridge version for the SNES of from the Wii's virtual console its got great music, great graphics, one heck of a story and will keep you entertained for months if not years like me.


Total Top Spec Gaming Score 9.7 / 10

Super Metroid 

3 comments:

  1. Best SNES game of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really good but im already half way through the game with no guides what so ever i just relay on my map and items.

    ReplyDelete